Friday, February 10, 2012

No Laughing Matter


No Laughing Matter

Author’s Note: I am writing this piece to show my knowledge of predictions and quotes, by predicting what will happen next in the book I am currently reading, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I hope you enjoy this piece as much as I have enjoyed writing it.
                I should probably tell someone, just tell someone. Get it over with. Let it out, blurt it out.”  Melinda from the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson called the cops at the end of summer party. Now everyone resents her, even her used to be friends. A mysterious person nick-named “IT,” is also being referred to as a sign of uncertainly by Melinda. Due to the quote at the beginning of this piece and the other evidence listed, I predict that as I read further in the story that it will turn out that Melinda called the cops at this party because the figure of “IT”…raped her. 
I believe that the quote used in this story, is amazing text evidence to my prediction. When I read this part of the book, the first thing I thought was that something had happened to this girl that was quite severe. As I looked further into what she had said I was able to so say put two and two together. I looked at the way that she described a character in the book as “IT” and she how she became very uncomfortable at the idea of this character. Suddenly it was clear to me
When you would hear Melinda talk about “IT” she sounded scared, she sounded weak and you could feel the fear that she felt running through your veins. Melinda would refer to “IT” as making her feel as if her breakfast has just turned into hydrochloric acid. When he is near her she says that she feels like a Bunny Rabbit, hiding in the open, sitting like it has an egg in its mouth and that one move or one word and the egg will shatter, blowing up the world. When you read this part of it you feel a sense of worry in Melinda, as if he would hurt her, but in a sense that it wouldn’t be the first time he did. This drove me even more to the idea of Melinda being raped because of the tension in Melinda and the feel of the author’s words when I read this.
What I believe happened to this poor girl really opens my eyes to the horrible things that this world does hold. Though I do believe that through the facts and other references in this book do lead to a very tragic even like that. I would love to be proven wrong and cannot wait to see what will happen as I read further in this book. Rape is hurtful, it can change a whole life severely and it is no laughing matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment