Thursday, November 17, 2011

Stereotype Outsiders


Stereotype Outsiders

Authors Note: I have written this piece to showcase my knowledge of the novel “The Outsiders,” by S.E. Hilton and I am also writing this piece to gain a higher grade in all areas of convention, and in organization as well. I hope that you enjoy “Stereotype Outsiders,” as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

            Stereotypes, definition; a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or thing. “The Outsiders,” by S.E. Hinton is an impeccable story about defying stereotypes and staying true to who you are. When you look at the relationship between the Socs and the Greasers, you see the same sunset in the background, but on one side is a band of brothers (the greasers) and on the other, fancy clothed, snotty rich kids with an exception of a few (Socs). But the courageous of the few are able to overcome these stereotypes (The Greasers/The Socs) and overcome this rivalry. In this story Ponyboy Curtis, Cherry Valance, Johnny and Darry Curtis are able to rise above the rest and show to the world that though in some ways the Socs and the Greasers may be different but “West Side,” or “East Side,” they all see the same sunset.  This is also what makes defying stereotypes the main theme of this story.
            “The Outsiders,” has not only greatly affected my life and made me a stronger more confident person myself. It also significantly relates to the life I lead now as a teenager of the twenty-first century. As I walk the halls of Asa Clark Middle School stereotypes are all around me. You have the sporty type girls, the cheerleaders, the jocks, musicians, future inmates and then you have me the girl who tries to get along with everyone. I, well I am what you would call a peace maker. Holding a 4.0 grade average, being involved in sports, music and everything in between isn’t as easy as it sounds but I manage. When people see me walk the hallways, you see them turn to me, most waving hello but others giving a nasty glare or foul comment. Most don’t realize how much a person can take that to heart. In a way you could say that I am like Ponyboy Curtis, the way he is always trying to keep the Greasers together and end their feud with the Socs.  Just the way I do everywhere I go.
            Reading the book “The Outsiders,” has been a great experience for me, it has taught me to stay true to myself and never let anything that may happen, change me. I will never regret the fact that I will forever play the role of “Momma Bear,” because that is who I am and I am proud of that. Though there are many stereotypes throughout the world the important thing to remember we all have something in common…we are all only human, and we all see the same sunset.
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment