Friday, March 30, 2012

Loss, It Isn't Easy


Loss, It Isn’t Easy


Author’s Note: I am writing this essay to explain different ways of dealing with the loss of a loved one. I am also writing this essay to tell my story of the recent loss of my great-grandmother. I hope you enjoy this piece and are touched by my story.      

Love, definition; an intense feeling of deep affection: "their love for their country". It is never easy, coping with the loss of a loved one. I myself have lost someone recently; therefore I know firsthand, how challenging it really is. But through the love and support of friends and family, you realize that you are not alone. Here are some ways to cope with the loss of a loved one.
            The most important thing to remember when you lose a loved one is that no matter how hard it may get, there is always someone right there next to you. One of the ways that my family and I have, personally decided to try to heal the pain of our recent loss is to talk about it. Every night we sat down as one big family and expressed our emotions, we talked about our feelings and most importantly we thought of ways to keep her memory close to our hearts. In doing so you just might find that, this passing, while it was devastating and of course heart breaking; that this person will still always remain with you, throughout your heart.
            Another thing that helped my family to muddle through with our terrible loss was to keep a journal and write down everything that we wanted to remember about my great-grandmother. This really helped me a lot because it allowed me to think of the positives and it really got my mind off of the idea of the initial loss. But most importantly, this exercise allows you to look back on this person’s life and really get to appreciate all that they have done for you, not only that, but how grand of a life they really lived.
            Overall dealing with loss will never be trouble-free, nor has it ever been, but by using these exercises and thinking of the positives, makes it that much easier. Therefore I encourage that you take my story and these exercises and use them to the greater good, whether that would be helping out a friend, a family member or even coping with loss yourself. And always remember, while a person my leave this earth, they are never really gone, because they will always be in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment